Division of Sport Fish
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
CONTACT: Patrick Fowler
(Juneau) - The Alaska Department of Fish and Game announced today the 2021 regionwide sport fishing regulations for king salmon in Southeast Alaska and the modifications for the Petersburg/Wrangell Area. The following regionwide regulations, are effective 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, March 3, 2021 through 11:59 p.m. Thursday, March 31, 2022:
- The resident bag and possession limit is three king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length;
- The nonresident bag and possession limit is one king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length;
- The nonresident annual limit is four king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length;
- Immediately upon landing and retaining a king salmon a nonresident must enter the species, date and location on their sport fishing license or on a nontransferable harvest record;
- From October 1, 2021 through March 31, 2022 a sport angler may use two rods when fishing for king salmon, a person using two rods under this regulation may only retain salmon.
The Southeast region wide bag and possession limits above will apply in all areas except as modified below for the inside waters in the vicinity of Petersburg/Wrangell:
In the majority of marine waters within the management area:
(District 6, District 10 and portions of District 5, District 7, and District 9; see attached map)
- April 1 to June 14, 2021: The retention of king salmon is prohibited, any king salmon caught must be released immediately.
In the waters adjacent to the Stikine River:
(District 8 and a portion of Eastern Passage near Wrangell; see attached map)
- April 1 to July 14, 2021: The retention of king salmon is prohibited, any king salmon caught must be released immediately.
A separate news release will be issued at a later date announcing king salmon regulations for locations where Alaska hatchery-produced king salmon are expected to return. Fishing opportunity in the Anita Bay and Blind Slough terminal harvest areas will open on June 1, 2021, and the City Creek release site will open June 15, 2021.
Anglers fishing north of the Petersburg/Wrangell area should review the advisory announcement for regulations in the Juneau and Haines/Skagway areas. Anglers fishing south of the Petersburg/Wrangell area should review the advisory announcement for regulations in the Ketchikan area.
For further information concerning this announcement please contact Petersburg/Wrangell Area Management Biologist, Patrick Fowler at (907) 772-5231.