(Released: May 23, 2019 - Expired: July 31, 2019)
Division of Sport Fish
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Contact: Patrick Fowler, Area Management Biologist
The Alaska Department of Fish and Game announced today, sport fishing regulations for Alaska hatchery-produced king salmon in areas near Petersburg and Wrangell.
Wrangell Narrows/Blind Slough Terminal Harvest Area
Described as that portion of Wrangell Narrows south of 56° 46' N. latitude (Martinsens’s dock) and north and east of the northern tip of Woewodski Island and includes the freshwaters of Blind Slough upstream of a line between Blind Point and Anchor Point (see attached map). The following regulations will be in effect beginning Saturday, June 1 through Wednesday, July 31, 2019:
- Bag and possession limit (residents and nonresidents) of 2 king salmon, 28 inches or greater in length, and 2 king salmon less than 28 inches in length;
- King salmon caught by nonresidents in this area do not count toward the nonresident annual limit.
Anita Bay Terminal Harvest Area
Described as the waters of Anita Bay south and west of a line from Anita point to 56° 14.26' N. latitude, 132° 23.92' W. longitude.
- Anita Bay will be open to the sport fishery beginning June 1. The Southeast Alaska regional king salmon bag, possession, and annual limits will apply in Anita Bay.
City Creek Release Site
Described as the marine waters adjacent to City Creek between a marker on the Mitkof Island shore, at 56° 47.83' N. lat., 132° 51.57' W. long. to 56° 48.30' N. lat., 132° 51.50' W. long. to 56° 49.77' N. lat., 132° 55.78' W. long. (navigation buoy) and back to the Mitkof Island shore at Hungry Point (56° 49.36' N. lat., 132° 56.38' W. long.) and includes the freshwaters of City Creek (see attached map). The following regulations will be in effect beginning Saturday, June 15 through Sunday, July14, 2019:
- Bag and possession limit (residents and nonresidents) of one king salmon any size;
- Nonresident annual limits continue to apply in this area.
Anglers are reminded that when in possession of king salmon less than 28 inches in length they should not then fish in another location where possessing a king salmon under 28 inches is illegal. For further information concerning this announcement please contact Petersburg/Wrangell Area Management Biologist, Patrick Fowler at (907) 772-5231.