Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Sport Fishing Guides & Charter Requirements
A logbook is required by ALL sport fish charter/guide operators in both salt waters and fresh waters, regardless of whether a vessel is used or not. It is the business owner’s responsibility to obtain the logbook. Logbooks can be picked up at all ADF&G Regional offices.
The current saltwater and freshwater logbook instructions and data pages are available for download to temporarily record guided trip information until a permanent logbook is acquired from your local ADF&G office.
What to Bring When Picking up a Logbook
To save time, please bring proof of the following:
- Dept. of Motor Vehicles issued vessel AK number, OR vessel USCG Documentation number - required.
- ADF&G Sport Fishing Business Owner Operator’s Registration - required (can be completed at time logbook is picked up)
- Once fishing services have commenced, daily trips must be recorded in the logbook. All trips must be recorded until the last trip of the season.
- All logbook sheets with activity MUST be returned to the Department of Fish and Game no later than the date specified in the Logbook.
- It is the responsibility of the GUIDE to assure that daily fishing activity is recorded in a timely manner (as described in the logbook).
- It is the responsibility of the BUSINESS OWNER to assure that all data for fishing activities from January 1 through December 31 is submitted to ADF&G in the manner specified in the logbook.
- Any local representative of the Department of Fish & Game, State of Alaska Peace Officer, or Federal Enforcement Officer must be shown a logbook upon request.
Historical logbook information is available only to the owner of the business. You may download a Logbook Data Request form (PDF 24 kB).