Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
- Habitat Permits Home
- Refuges, Sanctuaries & Critical Habitat Areas
- Construction & Maintenance
- Stream Diversion
- Stream Crossing
- Water Withdrawal
- Using Explosives
- Anadromous Waters Catalog
- Habitat Technical Publications
Use of Explosives
In or Near Stream Corridors
A Fish Habitat Permit (PDF 69 kB) may be required for a blasting activity that occurs in or adjacent to a fish bearing waterbody. The permit application may be obtained from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game Division of Habitat office located closest to your proposed project location.
Please see the Alaska Blasting Standard for the Proper Protection of Fish (PDF 367 kB) to plan your project to avoid impacts to fish. When impacts cannot be avoided, measures can be taken to minimize impacts to fish. The following standard applies when all measures to avoid or minimize impacts have been exhausted and blasting will occur in fish bearing water bodies and predicted pressures and vibrations might cause fish or embryo injury or mortality.
- Hydrophones used to monitor pressures and geophones used to monitor vibrations will be placed in the appropriate habitats as close to the point of detonation as possible without damaging the equipment. The instantaneous pressure rise in the water column in rearing habitat and migration corridors is limited to no more than 7.3 psi where fish are present. Peak particle velocities in spawning gravels are limited to no more than 2.0 in/s during the early stages of embryo incubation before epiboly is complete.
This standard is below levels that have been shown to cause injury or mortality to salmonids and salmonid embryos.
Blasting activities may require authorization from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
|Other Permitting Agencies||Related Documents and Pages|
|Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation||Fish Habitat Permit Application (PDF 69 kB)|
|Alaska Department of Natural Resources;
Division of Mining, Land and Water
|Anadromous Waters Catalog
Catalog of Waters Important for the Spawning,
Rearing, or Migration of Anadromous Fish
|U.S. Army Corp of Engineers||Special Areas Permit Application (PDF 134 kB)|
|U.S. Forest Service||Culvert Application (PDF 94 kB)|
|U.S. Environmental Protection Agency||ADF&G Streambank Restoration Guide|
|Kenai Multi-Agency Permitting||NOAA Habitat Restoration|