Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Sport Fishing Guides & Charter Requirements
- All vessels (powered and unpowered) used to provide sport fish guided activities must have a current AK number issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles prior to becoming registered with ADF&G. Vessels that have a unique USCG Documentation Number do not have to have an AK number.
- The only exemption to the AK number or unique USCG Documentation Number are single person floatation tubes.
- Vessels become registered when the ADF&G saltwater or freshwater logbook is issued. Vessel information is requested at the time a logbook is issued.
- For each vessel that is registered with ADF&G, one set of guide vessel decals will be provided, one for each side of the vessel.
- Vessel decals issued from ADF&G must be clearly displayed on each side of the vessel. Decals do not have to be permanently affixed to the vessel; decals can be placed on Plexiglas or plywood and then attached with a line to the vessel for easy placement and removal. Annual sticker tabs will be issued to those who already have decals. Decals are designed to last 3 to 4 years.
Alaska Vessel Requirements
- Summary of the State of Alaska vessel requirements (PDF)