Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Wildlife Professional Publications
Articles Published in Science and Management Journals
This list provides citations for journal and other externally-published articles and theses written by ADF&G Division of Wildlife Conservation staff and others working on ADF&G wildlife research, except Marine Mammals program publications.
- Bente, P. J. 2011. Abundance and multi-year occupancy of Gyrfalcons Falco rusticolus on the Seward Peninsula, Alaska. Pages 295–305 in R. T. Watson, T. J. Cade, M. Fuller, G. Hunt, and E. Potapov, editors. Gyrfalcons and Ptarmigan in a Changing World. The Peregrine Fund, Boise, Idaho.
- Booms, T. L., P. F. Schempf, and M. R. Fuller. 2011. Preening behavior of adult Gyrfalcons tagged with backpack transmitters. Journal of Raptor Research 45(3):264–267.
- Booms, T. L., S. L. Talbot, G. K. Sage, B. J. McCaffery, K. G. McCracken, and P. F. Schempf. 2011. Nest-site fidelity and dispersal of Gyrfalcons estimated by noninvasive genetic sampling. The Condor 113(4):768–778.
- Booms, T., M. Lindgren, and F. Huettmann. 2011. Linking Alaska's predicted climate, Gyrfalcon, and ptarmigan distributions in space and time: A unique 200-year perspective. Pages 177–190 in R. T. Watson, T. J. Cade, M. Fuller, G. Hunt, and E. Potapov, editors. Gyrfalcons and Ptarmigan in a Changing World. The Peregrine Fund, Boise Idaho.
- Brainerd, S., and D. James. 2011. A comparison of moose management between Scandinavia and Alaska. Sportsmen's Voice, Fall 2011:34–35. http://www.sfw.net/
- Brinkman, T. J., D. K. Person, F. S. Chapin III, W. Smith, and K. J. Hundertmark. 2011. Estimating abundance of Sitka black-tailed deer using DNA from fecal pellets. Journal of Wildlife Management 75(1):232–242.
- Collins, W. B., B. W. Dale, L. G. Adams, D. E. Mcelwain, and K. Joly. 2011. Fire, grazing history, lichen abundance, and winter distribution of caribou in Alaska's taiga. The Journal of Wildlife Management 75(2): 369–377.
- Dubey, J. P., G. V. Velmurugan, C. Rajendran, M. J. Yabsley, N. J. Thomas, K. B. Beckmen, D. Sinnett, D. Ruid, J. Hart, P. A. Fair, W. E. McFee, V. Shearn-Bochsler, O. C. H. Kwok, L. R. Ferreira, S. Choudhary, E. B. Faria, H. Zhou, T. A. Felix, and C. Su. 2011. Genetic characterisation of Toxoplasma gondii in wildlife from North America revealed widespread and high prevalence of the fourth clonal type. International Journal for Parasitology 41:1139–1147.
- Fuller, M. R., P. F. Schempf, and T. L. Booms. 2011. Developing Gyrfalcon surveys and monitoring for Alaska. Pages 275–282 in R. T. Watson, T. J. Cade, M. R. Fuller, G. Hunt, and E. Potapov, editors. Gyrfalcons and Ptarmigan in a Changing World. The Peregrine Fund, Boise, Idaho.
- Gustine, D. D., P. S. Barboza, J. P. Lawler, S. M. Arthur, B. S. Shults, K. Persons, and L. G. Adams. 2011. Characteristics of foraging sites and protein status in wintering muskoxen: Insights from isotopes of nitrogen. Oikos 120:1546–1556.
- Keech, M. A., M. S. Lindberg, R. D. Boertje, P. Valkenburg, B. D. Taras, T. A. Boudreau, and K. B. Beckmen. 2011. Effects of predator treatments, individual traits, and environment on moose survival in Alaska. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:1361–1380.
- Kirchhoff, M.D. 2011. A review of selected surveys of the Kittlitz's Murrelet (Brachyramphus brevirostris) in Alaska: lessons learned. Marine Ornithology 39:77–83.
- Magoun, A. J., C. D. Long, M. K. Schwartz, K. L. Pilgrim, R. E. Lowell, and P. Valkenburg. 2011. Integrating motion-detection cameras and hair snags for wolverine identification. Journal of Wildlife Management 75(3):731–739.
- Matz, A., T. Swem, P. Johnson, T. Booms, and C. White. 2011. Potential for climate change to increase contaminants exposure and effects in Gyrfalcons. Pages 161–175 in R. T. Watson, T. J. Cade, M. Fuller, G. Hunt, and E. Potapov, editors. Gyrfalcons and Ptarmigan in a Changing World. The Peregrine Fund, Boise, Idaho.
- McCaffery, B. J., T. L. Booms, T. C. J. Doolittle, F. Broerman, J. R. Morgart, and K. M. Sowl. 2011. The ecology of Gyrfalcons Falco rusticolus on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, Alaska. Pages 191–220 in R. T. Watson, T. J. Cade, M. Fuller, G. Hunt, and E. Potapov, editors. Gyrfalcons and Ptarmigan in a Changing World. The Peregrine Fund, Boise, Idaho.
- Oehlers, S. A., R. T. Bowyer, F. Huettmann, D. K. Person, and W. B. Kessler. 2011. Sex and scale: Implications for habitat selection by Alaskan moose Alces alces gigas. Wildlife Biology 17(1):67–84.
- Peacock, E., K. Titus, D. L. Garshelis, M. M. Peacock, and M. Kuc. 2011. Markâ€“recapture using tetracycline and genetics reveal record-high bear density. The Journal of Wildlife Management 75(6): 1513–1520.
- Rosenfield, R. N., T. L. Booms, K. K. Burnham, B. J. McCaffery, and R. J. Goodwin. 2011. The potential for long-term monitoring and research of Gyrfalcon and Peregrine falcon breeding populations using undergraduate students: An apparent inexhaustible source of funding. Pages 373–384 in R. T. Watson, T. J. Cade, M. R. Fuller, G. Hunt, and E. Potapov, editors. Gyrfalcons and Ptarmigan in a Changing World. The Peregrine Fund, Boise, Idaho.
- Royle, J. A., A. J. Magoun, B. Gardner, P. Valkenburg, and R. E. Lowell. 2011. Density estimation in a wolverine population using spatial capture-recapture models. Journal of Wildlife Management 75(3):604–611.
- Seaton, C. T., T. F. Paragi, R. D. Boertje, K. Kielland, S. DuBois, and C. L. Fleener. 2011. Browse biomass removal and nutritional condition of moose Alces alces. (PDF 483 kB) Wildlife Biology 17:55–66.
- Shafer, A. B. A., K. S. White, S. D. Côté, and D. W. Coltman. 2011. Deciphering translocations from relicts in Baranof Island mountain goats: Is an endemic genetic lineage at risk? Conservation Genetics 12:1261–1268.
- Smith, W. P., D. K. Person, and S. Pyare. 2011. Source-sinks, metapopulations, and forest reserves: Conserving northern flying squirrels in the temperate rainforests of Southeast Alaska. Pages 399–422 in J. Lui, V. Hull, A. Morzillo, and J. A. Wiens, editors. Source, sinks, and sustainability. Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom.
- White, K. S., G. W. Pendleton, D. Crowley, H. J. Griese, K. J. Hundertmark, T. McDonough, L. Nichols, M. Robus, C. A. Smith, and J. W. Schoen. 2011. Mountain goat survival in coastal Alaska: Effects of age, sex, and climate. Journal of Wildlife Management 75(8):1731–1744.
- Young, D. D., and R. D. Boertje. 2011. Prudent and imprudent use of antlerless moose harvests in Interior Alaska. (PDF 888 kB) Alces 47:91–100.