Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Brown/Grizzly Bear Hunting in Alaska
RB989 Permit Hunt Information
for Regulatory Year 2014
Hunt Number: RB989
Regulatory Year: 2014
Hunt Type: Registration
Species: Brown Bear
Legal Animal: One brown bear per regulatory year by registration permit only. Cubs or females accompanied by cubs may not be taken at any time.
Jan 1 – May 31
Alaska residents only
- Report within 15 days of kill.
- Specimens Required: A quarter size piece of untanned hide with hair for DNA analysis.
Report no later than June 15.
You may report online at http://www.hunt.alaska.gov
1) WHEN: Jan 1 - May 31 unless changed by emergency order.
2) WHERE: Unit 26B
3) BAG LIMIT: One (1) brown bear. Cubs or females accompanied by cubs may not be taken at any time.
4) SEALING REQUIREMENT: Hide and skull must be sealed within 30 days of the kill by ADF&G or by Alaska Wildlife
Troopers. Must be unfrozen. A quarter size piece of untanned hide with hair shall be turned in to ADF&G at the
time of sealing for DNA analysis.
5) REPORTING: Complete permit hunt report online (http://hunt.alaska.gov) or return completed permit report card by
mail or in person to Fairbanks ADF&G. Successful hunters: Report within 15 days of kill. Unsuccessful hunters and
those who did not hunt: Report no later than July 15.
6) REMEMBER: Evidence of sex must remain naturally attached to the hide until it is sealed. Nonresidents are required
to purchase a locking tag to hunt brown/grizzly bear in Unit 26B and are required to hunt with a guide or a resident
relative within 2nd degree of kindred.
7) WHO QUALIFIES: Alaska residents and nonresidents
8) PENALTY FOR FAILURE TO REPORT: If you fail to report, you will not be eligible to receive any permits (Drawing,
Tier II, and Registration, including Tier I Nelchina Caribou) during the next regulatory year. In addition, your name will
be turned over to the Alaska Wildlife Troopers for enforcement action.
Additional Requirements and Information
- Evidence of sex must remain naturally attached to the hide. A quarter size piece of untanned hide with hair shall be turned in to ADF&G at the time of sealing.
Hunt conditions and season dates can be changed by Emergency Order. Visit the Emergency Orders and Announcements page for more information.